Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Something That Needs To Be Said...
It's late, and normally I wouldn't post anything of this nature because I despise internet debates and even more so ignorant comments drizzled with defensiveness. Yet things around me drive me to speak out about my lack of faith, what I do believe and cherish in this world, and why I do think it's important to take these issues seriously.
It's old news by now, but the news continues to bring up the issues brought up by the Westboro Baptist Church : http://articles.boston.com/2011-04-12/news/29410642_1_military-funerals-westboro-baptist-church-fred-phelps and tons of doomsday theories are popping up because of events going on around us. People are taking real-world issues that are effecting the lives of millions of people and sloshing mythical views over them, and it isn't right. Our hands should be kept active, our eyes kept open, and our legs should be moving and shaking about to bring change.
I may not be able to do two of the three above, but I am aware of the world around me more now than I've ever been. I watch the news and listen to the radio more, I listen to the President and try to understand politics. However boring, tedious and complicated it might be, it needs to be done. Michael Jackson said it best, I'm starting with the man (in my case woman) in the mirror. If I can learn to break out of my little bubble and do as my parents asked of me, then I'll be alright. No higher power should have to dictate this to me.
I hope to make this clear now, and never have to bore any of my future readers with it again. I am an atheist with regard to all gods, and I've been corrected on this in a way. I no longer mean to say, "I don't believe in god.", I mean to say "I don't believe there is a god", or better still "I don't see any reason or evidence to believe in any gods." That's it. I don't believe in 'nothing', I don't 'believe in god but want to sin', and to make sure I make myself perfectly clear, here's a statement from the Atheism Page on Facebook:
To tell you what I do believe: That age-old ideal of Freedom. Freedom of speech, thought, expression. That humanity with all its flaws isn't worthless or wretched as some may say. Human nature is apart of nature, and morality isn't absolute (I think this is the hardest thing for me to learn). Diversity is the life-blood of the world, and that the 'truth' is that there is no absolute truth. The universe is vast and interesting if anyone's willing to get off there ass and learn about it. Same for this planet we're on. I know religion is comforting, I know people put their heart and souls into this and I know first hand from my family how important believe in god is. It's an emotional investment...one that I for some reason simply cannot share. There was a time when religion had a place, and I think that time is fading.
It's going to hurt some of you, I'll bet a few have already considered x-ing me off your friends list. My family especially will not like what I say here, but after all this is my blog and I have my own mind. I cannot compromise nor change who I am. It's something that needs to be said. I do not ask anyone to think like me, I ask that people understand me. Understand Freethought.
-Bre
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment