This is where having an open mind can be confusing for some. From the research I've gathered on the subject Theosophy is broken up into Three Objects:
- To form Universal Brotherhood with our fellow man
- To promote the study of religion, philosophy and science
- To investigate nature and the inner potential of oneself
Further details on this can be found by authors Joy Mills, John Altego, et. al. at http://www.theosophical.org/about-us/the-society/3-objects
I had agreed with the prospects of this organization and wanted to learn more. It's at this stage that I had to shake my head in disappointment, because for what it's worth they have wonderful ideas. Theosophy is suffering from the same weird condition as all the New Age/Sprituality mumbo-jumbo and some schools of Buddhism. I'd call it the Bruised Fruit Syndrome (feel free to laugh at my poor analogical attempts, I am hungry so be prepared). A fruit in itself is a good thing, it gives us nourishment and nutrients which are things everyone needs. Yet no one wants to eat a bruised banana or a dented pear. No one wants an overly ripe melon, or a bitter strawberry. Whatever good these fruits provide has been ruined by outside forces or neglect.
And that's how I feel towards religion today. Actually, I shouldn't say religions, because the ones I've listed above are not (by the standard definition of what a religion is), religions at all. Yet these philosophies and ways of life with their core messages useful and intact, have been battered and bruised by superstition, pseudoscience, and myth. It is for this fact alone that I could never really commit to any of the listed philosophies, and I LOVE philosophy. It was one of my favorite classes.
Another point I'd make is how religion immerses itself into the three faults I consider bruises, making them more like open gashes and torn pieces of meat rather than delicious yet damaged fruit. What can we do to heal the wounds? What can be butchered away as useless fat and be kept as hearty muscle? I can only think to the Greeks, who are responsible for offering us a wealth of knowledge as well as intrigue.
No one today would even consider Zeus to be the one who makes thunder and lightning in the sky, or Apollo to ride across his chariot while pulling the sun along. Yet these were the common beliefs of Greeks during their early periods, these same people with such questionable ideas are the ones who gave us marvels like the Parthenon and the understanding of the atom. They are the ones who spurred the idea of philosophy and science, and over time were able to shed their religion of the Pantheon into what Sam Harris describes as 'the massive graveyard called mythology' (End of Faith, 2005). Despite this loss, they have been an undeniable source of good for modern civilization.
We can still learn from the good and bad of Greek mythology without having to believe it. There is still much to learn about the myths of today, which were once the religions of the past without losing them entirely and without professing them as definite truth. The sad part of this is no believer of the monotheistic faith would ever hear of this compromise. They don't see the danger and deadliness of holding and acting on beliefs that impose and condescend on others.
Piet Mondrian found his means to reach to his fellow man-through his art. I think this is one of the greatest reasons for why art is so important. Good art makes us reflect on things and think in ways we normally wouldn't, and I applaud him for placing his philosophical views into his work.
Sources:
"The Theosophical Society in America." The Theosophical Society in America. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 May 2011. <http://theosophical.org>
Harris, Sam. "The Nature of Belief." The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason. New York: W.W. Norton &, 2004. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment